FUSE is seeking a Director of Marketing & Communications who can build a new organizational function to enhance FUSE’s brand awareness and perception among target audiences such as major donors, local government leaders, and fellowship candidates. This individual will be coming to FUSE during a phase of extraordinary growth, joining a 20+ person national team and reporting to FUSE’s CEO.
LOCATION: FUSE Corps is currently a fully virtual organization and this position can be based remotely from anywhere in the United States.
ABOUT: FUSE Corps is a national nonprofit that is dedicated to freeing our country from social and economic barriers to opportunities that have been perpetuated by a history of systemic and institutionalized racism. We partner with local governments and communities to more effectively address pressing challenges by placing experienced professionals in city and county agencies. These FUSE Executive Fellows lead strategic projects that are designed to accelerate progress and advance racial equity.
Each fellow is selected through a dedicated executive search to ensure they have the competencies needed to achieve the goals of their specific project over the course of at least one-year of full-time work as FUSE employees. FUSE Executive Fellows are experienced professionals who are representative of, and deeply connected to, the communities they serve. We provide our fellows and local partners with training, coaching, networking, and professional support to ensure that they are able to achieve their greatest potential for impact. Since 2012, FUSE has led over 250 projects in 40 cities and counties across 18 states, improving the lives of more than 20 million people.
Our program is focused on issues such as workforce development, affordable housing, public health, educational access, criminal justice reform, and climate resilience. FUSE works to break down barriers between governments and the people they serve. We foster public-private partnerships, use human-centered design to engage the community in policymaking, and create more equitable outcomes. We encourage sustainable culture change within government agencies with a particular focus on making data-driven and results-based decisions. We also utilize storytelling to share the insights from our work so that we can inspire civic leaders to think and act differently in their pursuit of systemic change. For more info: https://www.fusecorps.org/
Reporting to the CEO, the Director of Marketing & Communications will build a new organizational function to enhance FUSE’s brand awareness and perception among target audiences such as major donors, local government leaders, and fellowship candidates. We seek an experienced professional who can design a long-term strategy and lead day-to-day implementation, generating impact as a proactive individual contributor while also serving as project manager for multiple vendors and partnerships. The Director will focus primarily on marketing, while also overseeing website development, social media, solutions-based journalism, multimedia storytelling, and public relations. The successful candidate will join FUSE at an exciting and pivotal time. With the support of major philanthropic investments and a new strategic partnership with John Legend, we are doubling the scale of our program nationally. This role will directly increase FUSE’s ability to provide our communities with the transformational leadership needed to address a historical legacy of racism that has resulted in deep, systemic, intergenerational disparities.
- Define strategic marketing goals and plans – Build a detailed plan to improve and scale FUSE’s marketing capabilities, including goals and metrics, methods of evaluating progress, implementation timetables with milestones, responsibilities, risk analyses, budgets, and other success-determining requirements. Ensure buy-in for the major elements of this plan among key leaders throughout the organization.
- Enhance and align current marketing activities – Assess the marketing-related needs of each department and develop strategies to optimize their internal and external communications. Align efforts across teams to ensure consistent branding and marketing. Train key staff members to increase their independent marketing acumen. Manage an Associate and various contractors working on brand strategy, web development, marketing, communications, and public relations.
- Maintain a pipeline of compelling content – Collaborate with the evaluation team to optimize the collection of compelling data and stories. Oversee a team of solutions-based journalists who interview fellows, hosts, and community members to write short-form narratives about project impact. Increase the use of photos, videos, audio, and multimedia content to facilitate new forms of storytelling.
- Manage and optimize external communications – Oversee the distribution of impact stories through earned media in local and national outlets, industry-specific periodicals, professional networks, and self-publishing through our website and newsletters. Engage PR expertise and contractors as needed to support these efforts. Ensure regular posting across all major social media platforms, personally writing original content and/or engaging support as needed to produce high-quality written and visual content.
- Advance the brand through national campaigns – Manage marketing and communications related to FUSE’s partnership with John Legend and the HumanLevel campaign. In partnership with other members of the FUSE staff, liaise with Mr. Legend’s social impact team to spotlight insights and innovations with potential national significance that emerge from various FUSE fellowship projects. Pursue opportunities to advance FUSE’s brand through this broad-reaching public awareness and advocacy campaign. For more info: https://www.fusecorps.org/2021/10/01/human-level
- Design and maintain a continuous improvement plan – Collect and analyze data from a variety of sources to illuminate patterns in awareness and perception. Experiment with different approaches to determine the most effective messages and strategies. Deeply assess the ways in which all marketing and communications activities are in alignment with, and could more actively advance, our commitments to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- At least 10 years of experience in roles with personal responsibility for developing and executing marketing strategies. The ideal candidate will also have experience with brand management, communications, social media, storytelling, and public relations. Experience working with nonprofits and/or local governments is a plus.
- Exceptionally strong communication skills, particularly adept at crafting concise and compelling content, with an innate understanding of how to adjust messages for different audiences. Ability to simplify complex and technocratic content for a general audience, while also finding common themes across projects that span a wide range of issue areas, work products, and geographies.
- Strategic and entrepreneurial mindset with a demonstrated ability to create new functions or capabilities within organizations. Talented project manager with strong organizational skills and exceptional attention to detail. Ability to proactively develop workplans and self-manage activities, particularly to ensure an efficient reporting relationship with the CEO.
- High emotional intelligence and relationship-management skills. Ability to establishing strong partnerships with a diverse array of individuals, embracing department leaders as key internal customers. Ability to work as a “player/coach,” taking a hands-on approach to individual work while developing the skills of staff and other stakeholders throughout the organization.
- Passion around FUSE’s mission and program model; a commitment to advancing racial equity; and a belief in the importance of cross-sector collaboration, civic innovation, and community engagement. Ability to become an integral member of a virtual national team, contributing positively to the advancement of a strong organizational culture.
TO APPLY: Please submit an application and cover letter here. The application should explain your motivation for joining FUSE and how you anticipate leveraging your experience in this particular role.